I hate wasting food. I usually save food and we eat left-overs, as most people do. But the other morning when I made too much oatmeal for breakfast, I wasn’t sure what to do. I just couldn’t get myself to throw that much food in the garbage, but who is going to eat left-over oatmeal? Maybe we are food-snobs, but left-over oatmeal is just gross. I decided to see if there was anything appetizing to do with left-over oatmeal, and “Google-d” it. There are a lot of recipes out there using left-over oatmeal! I modified a muffin recipe from Food.com and it was a hit.
Left-over Oatmeal Muffins
1 cup flour (I used wheat)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup melted butter
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup leftover cooked oatmeal
1 cup raisins (optional – I left these out because the kids aren’t big fans)
1 tsp. vanilla
(I added 1 tsp. ground cinnamon)
1. In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
2. In another bowl, mix together melted butter, eggs, oatmeal, raisins and vanilla.
3. Add to dry ingredients and stir just until moistened – the batter will seem thick.
4. Spoon batter into 12 greased muffin cups (I used un-greased re-usable muffin cups — they worked wonderfully!)
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 18 minutes, or until the muffin centers are slightly firm.
They didn’t look pretty, but they were tasty! And part of being thrifty is not wasting. This was a great way to get a second breakfast out of our oatmeal.
This post linked up to Meet Penny’s Weekend Potluck.
- Best Oatmeal Raisin Chiquita Banana Muffins Recipe (chiquitabananas.com)
- Baked Oatmeal Squares (greenphonebooth.com)
- Retirement Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins (raspberriesandruminations.com)
- Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Bars with Orange Glaze (thepurplespoon.wordpress.com)
- Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins (floursugareggsbutter.wordpress.com)
- Muffin Tin Monday- More Oatmeal Toppings and Recipes (jdaniel4smom.com)